Become a Fan on Facebook

Get my bi-weekly blog updates via e-mail:

“Smoking Kills” Quit Smoking: The Best New Year Healthy Living Gift of All

by on December 30, 2011 >> 13 Comments
  • Sharebar

I was on my way for an afternoon walk when I saw a young lady took the last cigarette from the box to the left, and threw the empty box to the ground. I am not a cigarette box collector; however, I could not help picking it up after reading the big bold letters that says, “Smoking kills.” Yes – smoking kills!

Now, I know that the nicotine is extremely addictive and thus responsible for the dependence-forming habits of smokers, but is it that strong? enough to allow someone to overlook the chilling words describing what it will do to them? It seems as if it is; well then, how do quitters get to the point of quitting? Many people have quit smoking, so it is quite possible and from the survey that I took back in August, people who have successfully quit smoking have relayed how they managed to do so, which I have compiled in this how to quit smoking for good article.

On the other side of the cigarette box it says, “Smokers die younger” in big bold letters . Now, either the cigarette maker is a fool or this statement is a fact. I choose to believe the latter. Our bodies are built with the ability to stave off diseases, self heal and replenish, but it was certainly not built to absorb all these mixture of chemicals. Thus, the effects of each of these chemicals on the body, is devastating. Think about it! There are so many things in our environment that are highly unhealthy for us, yet we have little control over them. Fortunately for us, purchasing and smoking cigarettes which are highly toxic to our bodies, is totally something each of us can control.

In an earlier article I wrote titled “Help! Please Quit Smoking”, I touched on the new requirements that called for cigarette companies to supply a list of the chemicals they use in their cigarettes and listed some of the deadliest chemicals. Although the list may not be exhaustive, the chemicals listed are enough to make anyone alarmed. The cigarette box that I retrieved from the street has a few of the deadly chemicals listed on its side . According to Newport – the British American Tobacco Group, their cigarette contain 10 mg of Tar, .7 mg of Nicotine, and 12 mg of Carbon Monoxide. If you check this diagram in the article “Chemical Component of Cigarette Smoke”, you will see what these chemicals are usually used for, and the damning effect each one has on your health.

Cigarette smoking is bad, period. It is bad for the smoker, and bad for non-smokers. “Smoking Kills”: Give yourself the gift of life by quitting smoking and starting the New Year anew. This is without a doubt the best resolution you can make for yourself, and your loved ones this New Year – 2012.

Quit smoking! Be the best you, you can be!

If you have quit smoking, how did you get to the point of quitting? Please share your tips with us.

Related Posts:

Help! Please Quit Smoking

How to Quit Smoking for Good

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS:

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “Smoking Kills” Quit Smoking: The Best New Year Healthy Living Gift of All

1. Janice on December 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Wow! That is deep! They actually put those on their cigarette boxes? People still purchase them? I am in shock! I know that cigarettes are not good for anyone because of the many chemicals used to make them, but I cannot believe that it is so addictive that that cigarette company is so confident they will still be sold. Regardless of what is written on the cigarette box, it is still selling! This is downright crazy!

• Marie on December 30, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Yes Janice, I was a bit shocked myself to see that people are still using these cigarettes despite what is written on the package. The chemicals are working to the company’s advantage, but I still believe that quitting is possible, as many people have done so before.

Thanks for your comment.
      Marie recently posted..“Smoking Kills” Quit Smoking: The Best New Year Healthy Living Gift of AllMy Profile

2. Daniel on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I have had so many people, friends and family, affected by second hand smoke I have to share this post. I hope your effort to get to these smokers who are killing themselves and others, will get to them sooner than later.

I also hope that somehow, some miracle could happen and every smoker wake up and see the danger they are putting themselves in, and quit smoking so the greedy, selfish cigarette company executives can be out of business for good.

• Marie on December 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hi Daniel, sorry you had to see your family and friends helplessly suffer at the hands of second hand smokers. I am with you on that miracle happening to give every smoker an “open eye” which would definitely lead to the collapse of cigarette companies.

I am at a point where I cannot breathe when I smell cigarette smoke and I also get an instant headache. Some people say “it’s just smoke” but the chemicals in the smoke is what is damning.

Thanks for your contribution.

3. Katherine on December 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I think they could find a better way to make cigarettes but it would not be such a huge business if people are not addictive, and the chemicals make them addictive. It is a sad situation for everyone; smokers and non-smokers alike.

Another relevant post Marie! This need to get out there and I will do my part to spread the word.

4. Mike Smith on January 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

Quite surprised to know they actually write “Smoking Kills” on the boxes! Never knew that. And I loved everything you said. I’m so glad I did not start smoking, and hopefully won’t ever!

I’m glad people like you are at least spreading more awareness though and giving the important reminders to people.
    Mike Smith recently posted..Buy PS3My Profile

• Marie on January 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hello Mike, I’m surprised too especially since it is not a requirement. I guess they have such great confidence in their product, that no matter what they print on the package, it will still be in high demand.

I have to try to spread the word because the smoke affects all of us – smokers and non-smokers alike. It’s my pleasure to do my part.

Thanks for your contribution.
      Marie recently posted..Happy New Year! Welcome 2012!My Profile

5. Cindy on January 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Really interesting text, it inspired me to reach my newest goal. My resolution for the new year actually was to quit smoking. But I am afraid I only can reach it with baby steps. I did already the first step: I have installed the Smokequit app on my iPhone:)
    Cindy recently posted..Toothache home remedies and natural curesMy Profile

• Marie on January 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hello Cindy, congrats on wanting to quit and taking the first step. I am so rooting for you! You can do it! Just think of the many benefits of not smoking: a potentially longer lifespan, you smell smoke free, you save all that money, and you help others live longer too :)

Thanks for contributing, and please come back and let us know how you are doing. All the best!
      Marie recently posted..Checklist for a Complete Medical Check: WomenMy Profile

6. SUNEHRA KOSHY on April 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I was looking for something to get my friend to quit smoking. Didn’t want to lecture him or push him to quitting coz I know he wants to quit. I thought perhaps all he needs is constant reminding of how bad smoking is. So I found this coughing ashtray and gave it to him. Drop by my blog for a read.

SUNEHRA KOSHY recently posted..A Gory Yet Great Gift for a SmokerMy Profile

7. Keira on June 25, 2015 at 9:07 am

Yes, I can’t think of one benefit of smoking, but there is a host of reasons not to. Thanks for spreading the word Marie!

I just read your “Smoking and Health: How Cigarette Smoke Affects the Body” post as well. Very informative!

What are your thoughts?