Become a Fan on Facebook

Get my bi-weekly blog updates via e-mail:

10 Things To Do To Ensure You Exercise Regularly

by on October 12, 2011 >> 16 Comments
  • Sharebar

1) Choose a method of exercise based on what you enjoy doing.

If you like to dance for example, you can make an array of aerobics such as the zumba dance fitness exercises, be your morning energizing exercise routine. Choosing a pattern of exercises based on things you like to do, will increase the chances of you sticking to your routine and doing them regularly. Most importantly, if you try one type of exercise and you do not like it, do not give up on all exercises as there are many types of exercises you can choose from.

2) Select a time that you know will always be convenient for you – everyday.

First thing in the morning exercises works for me! They are usually easier to stick with, and as such have a higher success rate. If a morning workout gets your pulse hopping and your energy popping – great; but if the very thought of a morning workout makes you groan and hide under the covers, schedule it later. However, try not to put it off until you have finished everything else you have to do. If exercise is the last on your list, chances are you may never get to it – especially not regularly. The key is to engage in your exercise routine at the same time everyday.

3) Designate a comfortable yet energizing place to do your exercises.

Comfort and association are things that sticks in our minds. When we reflect on different places we tend to develop different vibes and feelings. If you create a place that is comfortable with a style that says exercise you will be able to get in the exercise mindset once you enters or even think about that area. Of course, you do not want a daybed or even a couch in that area, you want other comfort such as mats, mirrors and any other decorative that has an exercise feel to it.

4) Add music you love to your exercise routine to help give you pep in your step.

Music is food to the soul! Adding music that you love to your routine will help to create a pleasant experience to look forward to each time. It will invigorate you and keep you interested. Different music creates different moods and vibes. If your workout is fast paced you may want to add some disco, cha cha, meringue. If it is slow paced, like some sit-ups or treadmill, you can add any music of your choice – fast or slow. Music adds extra ambiance and feeling of well-being to any exercise routine and will make you think more positively about exercises.

5) Make a list of the way you feel physically and emotionally after a workout and keep it on display.

This is a great way to keep yourself psyched up about the benefits you are getting from sticking with your exercises. You may try to keep it close to your bed (if you are a morning person) so that when you open your eyes it will be right there as a motivator. It is simple, but it works. Your mind will not be able to clock out the many positive thoughts about your exercises that will start roaming in your psyche.

6) Set some short term goals and chart your progress.

Small, interim goals are easier to achieve than one single ultimate goal. It allows you to get to it sooner and thus, keep the momentum and interest in tact. You can try to keep a log of your vital stats – weight, pulse, blood pressure. For your weight loss, you may want to take before and after photos for your diary. Charting your progress is crucial because the feedback is encouraging, and you can proudly show your results to others who are rooting for you.

7) Reward yourself with something tangible each time you reach a set goal.

Reward, as the name suggests, means something given or received in recompense for worthy behavior or in retribution. When you reward yourself, you are telling yourself that you are getting what you are, because you have earned it. Making the rewards tangible will allow you to see each as the mark for that goal that was accomplished. It is very motivating to be able to associate something with a particular moment of success in our lives. Being able to see it will give you the courage to say “I can do this” and continue. It will make you want to go on, so as to get the next reward.

8) Get at least one family member involved in your exercise plan.

Exercising can be more fun when the whole family is involved; it creates a spirit of expectation and competition which are valuable tools to keep one interested in wanting to do more. Also, it gives the entire family a worthwhile event to look forward to. It creates an atmosphere where each can encourage the other – especially if one has the tendency to slack off. If getting the whole family involved prove to be a challenge, try to enlist at least one family member to nudge you in the event you need nudging.

9) Get ample amount of sleep every night.

This will enable you to be alert and ready to carry out your daily activities. Sleep affects every area of your life; when you get enough sleep your whole being is renewed and you are more perceptive and vibrant. The probability that you will follow through with your daily activities – including your workout, increases greatly when you get enough sleep. Everyone has a sleep number, discover what yours is and make sure to get that amount in everyday.

10) Formulate a schedule and implement it everyday.

Having a schedule to follow, and following through as planned, will help to create balance in your life. After executing your schedule a few times, it becomes second nature and thus the norm for you to do. A schedule is very helpful to have because it delegates a time for everything that needs to be done, to get done. Therefore, formulating a schedule and implementing it everyday will let you get your exercises done regularly.

Happy exercising! Remember to always do your ‘warm-up’ before immersing into full exercise mode.

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS:

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to 10 Things To Do To Ensure You Exercise Regularly

1. Madison on October 13, 2011 at 12:05 am

That scheduling is very important, and a huge part of why I am successful at my regular exercises. The time that I have chosen works perfectly for me, and also the types of exercises I choose. I usually workout with music which I find very invigorating. I do not always get enough sleep, which I plan on working on as soon as I complete a few projects I am on.

Love your list! Works for me!

• Marie on October 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Hi Madison, getting the schedule right is a must. Without a proper schedule, some things will not get done, so it’s super important.

Work on getting your ‘enough’ sleep in, as it is just as important as exercise and eating the right foods.

Thanks for sharing!
      Marie recently posted..10 Things To Do To Ensure You Exercise RegularlyMy Profile

2. Katherine on October 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I am having a hard time getting enough sleep these last few months because of some projects I have started. However, I know the importance of getting ample sleep and will have to find some form of balance with my schedule to include more sleep. Exercise and everything else seem to fall in place, but thank you for the sleep reminder in this awesome post.

• Marie on October 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hi Katherine, often times we find ourselves engulfed in duties. The good thing is that you recognize the short fall and will snap back as soon as you are through – hopefully. Also, you are getting your exercise in which is paramount.

Thanks for joining in!

3. Gillian on October 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I believe the time selection is the key right here. For instance, when I had my schedule arranged for and afternoon workout, it rarely happened. Now, since I have rearranged my whole schedule to early morning workouts, I exercise everyday. No matter what, each of us know what is right for us, and sometimes we only find out through experiment, trials and errors. Great post. Nice share.

• Marie on October 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Hi Gillian, you have found what works for you, congratulations! We all need to tap into ourselves and figure out what works best for us in every aspect of life, and keep doing what that is and taking it to the next level up. One time-frame did not work for you and you tried another time-frame and it works. Thank goodness you did not give up or just let it slide.

Thanks for sharing. All the best!

4. Janice on October 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I have heard about the Zumba how romantic, yet energizing it is. I must try it. Exerise is a must for me, just as eating is. I try to get as much sleep per night as I can, sometimes just not enough. I love number 10, you really cannot get very far without it. Another great post. Thanks for sharing.

• Marie on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Hello Janice, I like your comparison of foods and exercise; equally important. I find that a lot more people are having less sleep these days which is not a good sign for too many reasons to list here. However, some of them are for short periods to finish up projects etc. and I hope the majority will return to getting enough sleep sooner than late.

I love the Zumba fitness workout! You should absolutely try it. Lots of movements, fun movements and it’s all toning the body at the same time – priceless.

Thanks for chiming in! All the best!

5. Marie on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Well, who else should you be into?! You are doing yourself a favor by tuning in Andrew, and she better get used to it, right?

Seriously though it is okay to be in tuned with yourself and do what works for you. I find it very motivating to see the benefits I give my body by exercising regularly, right by my bedside. I am a morning exerciser and it works for me! I am glad it is working for you too!

Thanks for contributing, and all the best!

6. Healthy Man on November 26, 2011 at 6:16 am

Know and understand yourself, is what I say to things to help you exercise regularly. I definitely keep a schedule and I do my exercises in the morning. I do not get enough sleep at all! Who does these days? There is so much to do, and so much to see, and Facebook keep bombarding me with “your friends are waiting” “your friends are waiting”. I mean clearly it’s all too much going on to sleep away :)

7. LLoyd on December 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Exercise is its own reward! Doing it regularly is a golden opportunity to enhance longevity. Risk of heart disease can be drastically lowered with regular exercises. Those are definitely some great tips to help with regular exercises.

8. Omron Scales on December 15, 2011 at 5:48 am

Regular exercise is important, and we should all do whatever it takes to ensure we do exercise regularly. As long as I get enough sleep at nights, I can wake up refreshed to get mt exercise in early in the morning. Keeping a schedule is how I am able to get everything done.

9. Marie on December 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

@ Healthy Man – Too many things are constantly going on it’s true, but as for Facebook, when it come to my health the friends can wait. Enough sleep is just as important as regular exercise, you should try to get enough, at whatever cost.

Thanks for your input.
    Marie recently posted..Common Sense Tips That Could Save Your LifeMy Profile

10. Marie on December 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

@ Lloyd Indeed! So many benefits of regular exercise. If we make the effort we will definitely reap the rewards.

Thanks for contributing.

@ Omron I find early morning exercise to be very invigorating; however, it would not be accomplished had I not gotten enough sleep. Also, keeping a schedule is key!

Thanks for sharing.
    Marie recently posted..Common Sense Tips That Could Save Your LifeMy Profile

11. Chris @ Sports360 on October 26, 2012 at 6:50 am

When you play music during exercise then your attention will go to the music and make you perform your exercise without fatigue.

• Marie on February 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Music surely helps Chris! Thanks for your input!

What are your thoughts?